The mission of LeadersUp is to bridge the divide between the untapped potential of young people and the business challenge of finding and keeping the best talent. We believe strategic investments in human capital is the key to creating an economically inclusive society and widening the circle of opportunity for under-served communities. We strive to fulfill our mission by engaging employers to design, test and sustain career pathway centered talent solutions that are demand driven and human focused.
Established in 2013 by Starbucks Corporation and launched by forward-thinking business leaders, LeadersUp is an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit and social enterprise that works to address the burgeoning talent divide and the national youth disconnection crisis. Incorporated in the State of Washington, LeadersUp has market presence in Los Angeles, Chicago and the San Francisco Bay Area with plans to expand into other markets across the nation. In addition to our youth development and workforce training services, we also provide industry analysis, program management and technical assistance/strategy development for private, government and nongovernment entities interested in connecting industry to the next generation of diverse talent.
LeadersUp seeks a dynamic and mission-driven Specialist, Communications (“Specialist”) to help execute communication strategies and programmatic initiatives. The Specialist will support communications platforms to drive core messaging, assist with the development of content, research industry trends, and assist with public affairs. The location of this role is based in Los Angeles. This is a full-time, exempt position.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Communications & Digital Marketing:
- Create and update content for digital platforms (i.e. social media, e-newsletter, website, blogs) along with printed collateral.
- Maintain content calendar in alignment with organizational goals and strategies.
- Assist in developing collateral, media kits, and cultivating media relations.
- Assist the Creative Director in the production of creative assets.
- Perform document review, proofreading, and data entry.
- Assist with preparation of presentations and developing content for external marketing events.
- Assist with managing and updating CRM database.
- Responsible for researching media contacts and assisting with pitching to media.
- Assist with development and execution of engagement strategy for key stakeholders across communication platforms.
- Assist in outreach efforts to increase opportunity youth participation for employer-specific trainings.
- Engage community partners through digital platforms, written correspondence, and conference/event participation.
- Manage schedule of upcoming events, national initiatives, and conferences applicable to LeadersUp.
- Responsible for record keeping, meeting notes, and organizing communication resources.
- Engage in other admin-related activities at the request of the senior leadership team.
- 1-3 years of applicable experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public policy, or communications preferred.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional social media engagement skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Occasionally required to stand.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Frequently required to sit.
- Occasionally required to lift/push/carry items less than 25 pounds.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, and vision (80/20 employer paid).
- Generous time off:
- 48 hours of sick time;
- 10 days of paid vacation each year during the first two years of employment;
- 15 paid holidays, including a holiday break between December 24th - January 1st.
- Option to work remotely two days a week.
- 9/80 schedule to all eligible employees (80 hours of work in 9 days, with every other Friday off).
- Other perks, including FSA, yearly team retreats, comfortable office space, and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
LeadersUp is an equal opportunity employer committed to bridging the divide between the untapped potential of young people and the business challenge of finding and keeping the best talent. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter. Applications without these materials will not be considered.
Due to a high volume of applications received, only successful candidates will be contacted.